We believe in the organizations that are working to create a better future for the Centre County community.
Each year, Centre Foundation distributes hundreds of grants to Centre County non-profits from our funds that have designated specific organizations as beneficiaries. We also have community grant funding available through the innovative Centre Inspires granting program, as well as more traditional, competitive grant funding available through our Field-of-Interest Funds. Combining these programs with Centre Gives, our 36-hour online giving event, we provide local non-profits with several unique and exciting granting experiences throughout a given calendar year.
For a list of grantees and amounts by calendar year, please see the files below:
Centre Gives is a 36-hour online giving event designed to highlight and support the great work of local non-profits serving Centre County. Since the program's inception in 2012, the community and Centre Foundation have invested a combined total $6.8 million into our community! This investment has benefited over 165 local organizations with missions across all interest areas: education, health and social services, arts, animals, and the environment. Our goal is to shine a community-wide spotlight on the good work of our non-profits and to help them learn online fundraising and communications strategies that support their long-term success.
The next Centre Gives will occur in May 2019. The application period for organizations wishing to participate in Centre Gives 2019 will open in January.
What is Centre Gives? Watch this short video from Centre Gives 2018.
Contact our office for more information about Centre Gives, including sponsorship and educational opportunities.
How can your organization impact Centre County, create strong partnerships, and engage local citizens while making a positive difference? Centre Inspires is here to help!
Centre Inspires is designed to be transformative on a county-wide scale by creating positive change through community engagement. Centre Inspires is a vehicle to enable the continued growth and strengthening of Centre County on a broad scale. Centre Foundation will provide up to $100,000 in grants to fund project(s) that provide an opportunity to transform an aspect of life in Centre County through innovative collaborations between non-profit organizations and other entities that foster community engagement.
The 2017 Centre Inspires grant recipient was Strawberry Fields for their proposal of a coffee shop that employees people with intellectual and developmental disabilities. (project details)
Prior grant recipients:
- 2014 - “Book Benches of Centre County" (project details)
- 2015 - "Food Centres" (project details)
- 2016 - "Centred Outdoors" (project details)
Application Qualifications and Guidelines:
- Only organizations that are the beneficiaries of a Centre Foundation endowment fund may apply.
- Collaborative partnerships between other non-profit organizations, businesses, churches, government entities, etc. are encouraged.
- Individuals or organizations that do not hold endowment funds with Centre Foundation may apply through a qualifying organization as the primary applicant. A list of qualified organizations is available, upon request.
- We have also eliminated the annual rotation of specific program areas to allow applicants to apply for any idea which can meet a current need.
- For full qualifications and guidelines, and for application questions, please see the 2017 Centre Inspires Packet.
For more information, please contact our office.
At Centre Foundation, funds begin with a donor’s legacy and a story of personal motivation to make a difference. The Field-of-Interest Funds are no different and compose our annual competitive granting cycle, a more traditional granting program. Each Field-of-Interest Fund is specified for particular types of programs, populations served, and geographic areas, corresponding to donors’ passions.
Descriptions of these funds and the interests they serve can be found through the fund links at the end of this section.
- Andrew and Madaline Rishel Family Fund ($440 Available)
- Ben Franklin Fund ($1,907 Available)
- Carolyn A. Petrus Memorial Seeing Eye Dog Fund ($13,902 Available)
- Centre Children's Fund ($1,615 Available)
- Centre County Medical Society Fund ($1,058 Available)
- Counseling Service Fund ($9,356 Available)
- J. Alvin and Vera E. Knepper Hawbaker Memorial Endowment Fund ($3,628 Available)
- Louis E. and Patricia H. Silvi Fund ($1,002 Available)
- Mattil Family Fund ($904 Available)
- Patricia Farrell Music Fund ($7,213 Available)
- Philipsburg Area Fund ($1,545 Available)
- Proud to Be An American Fund ($1,340 Available)
- Ruth E. Rishel Charitable Fund ($2,023 Available)
- William W. and Helen S. Litke Memorial Fund for the Aid and Assistance of the Deaf and Hearing Impaired ($8,219 Available)
What happened in 2017? Get all the details here.